Thursday 3 May 2012

Down the memory lane- Age miracle

Whoever said shopping is a 'therapy' should be hanged to death! Children of shopping loving mothers should  fully comprehend to what I'm saying. Walking in streets, markets and malls for hours with an empty stomach and a splitting headache accompanied with numb legs in NOT my idea of a therapy.

A few years ago, I had to accompany my mother for some Diwali shopping. My mother was busy negotiating the price of curtains and drapes with the shopkeeper, while a beautiful handbag caught my attention. Not much of a girly girl, my female hormones take the rage sometimes :p I had a sudden urge to buy it. But I knew my mother wouldn't have let me, not in a MILLION years. Considering the fact that I NEVER carried a handbag.And as a matter-of-fact I didn't need one! So when I went upto her with an inch of hope that she will let me buy it, her answer was a blunt NO with a nonchalant shrug. I sulked.

Then suddenly the shopkeeper who was a female while suggesting some suits and duppatas to my mother said
"Mam, If you don't mind, Can I ask you a question?"
"Yes." Replied my mother. Her eyebrows had twitched.
"Are you married?"
My mother hid her grin as she replied with a twinkle in her eyes. I have a 13 year old daughter! (yes I was thirteen at that time)
"Oh sorry!" She replied a little embarrassed. "You look much younger!"

My mother left the store as her cheeks flushed red. And if you are still wondering, she DID let me buy the handbag ;) I mentally thanked the shopkeeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment