Saturday 2 February 2013

Four lefts from the Center - I

It has been almost two years since I came to this city, The city of dreams as they call it. Leaving behind a school that gave me everything and a group of friends and moving to an entirely new city and starting everything from a scratch, isn't a very pleasing experience. So when I was informed that we are shifting, I felt the world around me coming to a grinding halt.
"I don't want to go! I'm happy here." I said adamantly to my parents with a nonchalant shrug though aware of the fact that there was little they could do about it. Coming from a Defense background, mobility is a way of life. But living in the capital city of Delhi for four long years, special ties had developed with the city. So when I came to know that we were moving again, the news took a little time to sink in.

My parents told me about the good things about Mumbai. "It's safer than Delhi, you will be allowed to travel alone!" My mother said convincingly. They talked about Mumbai and Film stars day in and day out to cheer me up. Over a period of a month or two, I accepted the fact that I had to leave.Departures are never easy. I assured my friends that we will plan a reunion in near future and wiped my tears. Bags were packed, good byes were exchanged and I left for a new city.

ENTER: MUMBAI
As soon as I stepped out of the Mumbai airport, I was greeted by a warm gust of air. Beads of sweat appeared on my forehead. As we drove from Andheri, all I could see around me were skyscrapers, pollution and lots of traffic. I suddenly missed the wide roads of Delhi and the lesser traffic. I immediately signaled my mind to stop thinking about Delhi. I was in a new city, and had to survive in it for two years without missing Delhi. That was the challenge.
However, my thoughts changed as we entered South Mumbai. The Sea Link looked beautiful at night. I had never seen such a beautiful sight in my entire life.I was in total awe of the night scene painted in front of me. As we rode through Bandra, our Driver exclamied "This is Mannat, Shahrukh Khan's bunglow, And this is where Salman Khan lives. I realised, that I had slowly started liking the city. I saw Antilla, Marine Drive and many other fascinating places before coming to our destination, The Colaba defence station.

No comments:

Post a Comment